If you’ve been injured on the job in Colorado, filing a workers’ compensation claim can be a lifesaver. This system ensures that you receive financial benefits to cover your medical expenses and lost wages resulting from an occupational injury or illness. However, there may be instances when you want to cancel your claim. In this article, we’ll go over the reasons why you might need to cancel a workers’ comp claim, how to cancel it, and when to seek legal assistance.
Reasons You Might Need to Cancel a Workers’ Comp Claim
When you file a workers’ compensation claim, you’re usually doing so because you’ve suffered an injury or illness related to your job. However, there are several reasons why you might want to cancel or withdraw your claim after filing. Some of these reasons include:
- Your injury is minor, and you don’t think it’s worth the hassle of going through the claims process.
- The workers’ compensation claims process is overwhelming, and you’re finding it difficult to navigate.
- You don’t have enough evidence to prove that your injury or illness was work-related.
- You caused your own injury by violating a company policy and won’t be eligible for coverage.
- You wish to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against your employer for negligence instead.
If you’re hesitant about canceling your claim because you’re unsure about your rights, keep in mind that you can consult with a workers’ compensation attorney in Denver, Colorado. A skilled workers’ compensation attorney can help you understand your options and guide you through the legal process to help make sure you’re making informed decisions about your claim.
How to Cancel a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Colorado
If you’ve decided to cancel your workers’ compensation claim, you’ll need to follow a specific process. Here are the steps you need to take:
- Write a letter: The first step is to write a letter explaining that you wish to cancel your claim. You’ll need to send this letter to the insurance company and your employer. You don’t need to provide a reason for your decision to cancel.
- Wait for a response: Once you’ve sent the letter, the insurance company has 30 days to respond. They may request additional information or attempt to convince you to keep your claim open. However, if you don’t receive a response after 30 days, you can move on to the next step.
- File a motion for a request for dismissal: If you haven’t heard back from the insurance company after 30 days, you’ll need to file a motion with the court that’s handling your workers’ comp claim. This motion requests that your claim be dismissed. It’s best to have an attorney assist you with this step to ensure that the motion is filed correctly.
- Wait for a response: Once you’ve filed the motion, you’ll need to wait for a response from the court. In most cases, you’ll receive a notice that your claim has been withdrawn. However, in some cases, you may need to appear at a hearing to cancel the claim.
Do not make the decision to cancel your workers’ comp claim lightly. Once you decide to withdraw your claim, it may be difficult to continue pursuing your claim if you change your mind.
Do You Need an Attorney to Cancel Your Workers’ Compensation Claim?
If you’re unsure about how to cancel your workers’ compensation claim, or if you’re concerned about the potential legal consequences of canceling, you may want to consult with an attorney. An experienced workers’ compensation attorney can help you understand your rights and options, and can guide you through the process of canceling your claim.
If you are not sure whether you should cancel your workers’ compensation claim, a lawyer can help you evaluate your options. They can review your case and determine whether you may be eligible for additional compensation through a personal injury lawsuit.
If you decide to cancel your workers’ compensation claim in Colorado, there is a process in place that you must follow. While the process varies depending on your circumstances, the general steps involve sending a written letter, waiting for a response from the insurance company, and filing a motion for a request for dismissal if necessary. If you need assistance with the process, it’s a good idea to contact an experienced attorney. An attorney can help you understand your rights and guide you through the process to ensure that you follow the correct steps. Contact our Denver law firm to speak with an attorney about your workplace accident claim.