Denver Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you suffered injuries as a pedestrian, you may have a case to recover medical bills, lost wages and other compensation. Contact Front Range Injury Attorneys for a free case review.
Our Denver personal injury lawyers have experience pursuing drivers causing pedestrian accidents across Colorado. Pedestrian accidents are increasingly common in Denver, leading to serious and even fatal injuries. Motor vehicle impacts to a pedestrian can result in expensive medical bills, lost earnings, pain and long term consequences. Under Colorado law you have the right to hold a negligent driver responsible for your injuries and financial losses. Clients choose Front Range Injury Attorneys to help them get compensation for our expertise and experience dealing with pedestrian accident injuries.
Why Choose Front Range Injury Attorneys?
At Front Range Injury Attorneys we care about helping our clients throughout their cases. We believe clients are best served when our personal injury lawyers participate in their cases from start to finish. We help our clients get the best treatment for their injuries. By building up your case from the beginning, we build a strong case to get the best results.
How we can help you
Watch this video to see managing attorney Adam Kielich discuss pedestrian accidents and how our law firm can help you recover for your losses.
Contact our office to discuss your Colorado pedestrian accident case. We offer free case reviews for injury and accident cases across the state.
Tell us about your case
Do I have a pedestrian accident case?
Not every pedestrian collision by a motor vehicle gives the injured pedestrian the right to file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit. Colorado law gives you the right to pursue compensation from a driver when the collision is the result of the driver’s negligence. Both pedestrians and drivers must follow the rules of the road. If the driver’s negligence caused your injuries, you should talk to our Denver pedestrian accident attorneys about your case.
What is negligence in a motor vehicle collision with a pedestrian?
Under Colorado law, an individual who injures you as a result of negligence may be held liable for your injuries and financial losses. Victims of pedestrian accidents and other personal injury cases generally shoulder the burden of proving the responsible party’s negligence.
Negligence carries a specific meaning in personal injury law. A negligence claim requires you to prove four elements:
- The driver had a duty to act with reasonable care towards you
- The driver failed to act with reasonable care
- You were injured
- The driver’s failure to exercise reasonable care caused your injuries
Drivers have a duty to follow traffic laws which exist for the safety of everybody in and around public roads. When drivers fail to follow the law and that resulted in your injuries, you have the right to hold that driver liable for those injuries.
Common causes of pedestrian accidents in Colorado
Pedestrian accidents involving negligent drivers often involve common places where pedestrians and drivers intersect. Some common causes of these accidents include:
- Crosswalk accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driver accidents
- Failure to stop at red lights and stop signs
- Hit and run accidents
- Reversing without maintaining a proper lookout
- Using a phone while driving
According to research, pedestrian accidents are on the rise in Colorado. Many occur at night and involve drunk driving. Nationwide, more than 7,000 people die from pedestrian accidents each year.
Pedestrian accident injuries in Colorado
Often pedestrian accidents involve cars striking pedestrians with the front end of the car. Large vehicles or cars traveling at a high speed can result in severe or even fatal injuries.
Our Denver pedestrian accident attorneys help clients with injuries ranging from minor injuries requiring medical care to life altering and fatal injuries. If you or a family member suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident, contact us for a free case review.
Common pedestrian injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head injuries
- Fractured or broken bones
- Elbow and wrist injuries
- Severed limbs
- Neck injuries
- Scarring and disfigurement
What compensation can I get for my injuries in Colorado?
Colorado law gives you the right to recover compensation for your damages resulting from your injuries. Damages is a legal term meaning the amount of money you are entitled to recover for the economic and non-economic harm suffered as a result of your injuries. Economic damages include your financial losses both in the past and future as a result of your injuries. Non-economic damages are the non-financial harms suffered as a result of the injuries.
In the course of pursuing your case, your pedestrian accident lawyer will evaluate the damages in your case and the evidence for each type of damage. Your damages form the basis of settlement negotiations with the insurance company. If your case goes to trial, your lawyer will present evidence of your damages to the jury.
Common damages in a pedestrian accident case include:
- Past medical bills
- Future medical expenses
- Lost earnings and employment benefits
- Future lost earning capacity
- Out of pocket costs for treatment such as pharmaceuticals or medical devices
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
What is the statute of limitations for a pedestrian accident?
Under Colorado law, the statute of limitations sets a critical deadline in your case. You must reach a settlement or file a personal injury lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out. If you miss this milestone, you generally lose your right to recover compensation for your injuries.
If you were struck by a motor vehicle as a pedestrian, the statute of limitations for your case is three years from the date of the accident. (Colorado Revised Statutes § 13-80-101.)
What to do after a pedestrian accident in Denver, Colorado
After a collision with a car while walking or running in Denver, it is vital that you begin taking the right steps immediately to take care of yourself. These steps will help make sure you begin receiving necessary medical treatment right away and protect the financial value of your case.
- Call 911. Use your phone or ask a bystander to call the police while you are still at the scene of the accident. If you have injuries, request an ambulance.
- Check your injuries. If you feel pain, tingling, numbness, or other unusual sensations, avoid moving. You may make your injuries worse by moving, even if you think you are ok.
- Get the driver’s information. Get the driver’s name, phone number, address, the vehicle license plate and description, and the insurance information.
- Take pictures. If possible, take photos of the location of the collision and the vehicle. If you are with somebody you know, ask them to take pictures if you need to avoid movement.
- Talk to witnesses. Tae the names and phone numbers of any witnesses to your collision. This will help obtain witness statements explaining the accident.
- Talk to the police. When the police arrive, they will conduct an investigation. Explain what happened but do not admit fault for the accident.
- Go to the hospital. After the police release you from the scene, seek immediate medical attention. If you are badly injured, allow the ambulance to take you to the emergency room. If you are able to walk away from the accident, ask somebody to take you to the emergency room.
- Contact a pedestrian accident lawyer. Contact us as soon as possible to discuss your case. We can handle all contact with the insurance companies for you.
- Report the accident. If you do not hire a lawyer right away, you will need to report the accident to the driver’s insurance company and open a claim.
- Do not sign anything. The driver’s insurance company may call you about the accident because the driver reported the accident. They may try to get you to give them a recorded statement about the accident or give you a low settlement offer. Do not provide a statement or sign anything until you talk to a personal injury lawyer about your case.
Contact our Denver pedestrian accident lawyers today
If you or a family member suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident, you should immediately seek legal representation. Our Denver pedestrian accident lawyers represent victims of these dangerous accidents. We help clients get the treatment they need and the compensation they deserve. Do not wait to talk to a knowledgeable personal injury attorney about your case. Valuable evidence may be lost the longer you wait. Call us for a free case review of your Colorado pedestrian accident.